As I have been getting back into my regular routine of having time in the prayer room after being gone for holidays and trainings, I have once again been confronted with the realization that I don't really know God. Not in the way that I am wanting to. Not in the way that I believe He is wanting me to know Him. It seems every few months, as I seek Him and discover more of His beauty and His many attributes, I eventually reach a plateau where I realize I do not know Him as I should. The more I find out about Him, the more I find I don't know!
This is not something that has been discouraging to me, but instead, I think God allows me to see the utter reality of my weakness and my ignorance in order to press into Him more. If I consistently have the idea that I know all there is to know about God, I have no reason to pursue Him and find out more. I don't think most of us would ever say that "we know all there is to know about God" but yet a lot of times our actions or apathy prove that we either think we do, or we don't want to. My goal is to be in neither of those categories through continually asking God questions.
So this month I have started something new where every night in my journal I will ask God a question. Sometimes it's about Himself, His likes or dislikes, or His plans. Sometimes, it's about me and my daily life as I try to be obedient in doing His will.
Here are some of the questions I have asked or plan on asking. This isn't an exhaustive list and you could change or add your own if you wanted.
- What do You think about me?
- What is Your favorite thing about me? Why?
- What is one thing You would change about my life?
- How can I love my team better?
- How can I love You better?
- How do You want to be loved by me?
- What is Your favorite book in the Bible? Why?
- How do You spend Your time?
- What do You mean by "insert Bible verse"?
- What do You want to tell me about the end times?
- What do You want to tell me about my future?
- What is heaven like?
- What will life be like when Jesus returns?
- How can I grow in love? In peace? Patience? Kindness? Etc.?
- What does the incense of my prayers smell like?
- What did You do before You created the earth?
- Why did You create humans in the first place?
- What is Your favorite song?
- What is Your favorite color?
- What are You thinking about right now?
- What makes You happy? Sad? Angry? Excited? Disappointed?
Then, after I ask (speaking out loud), I close my eyes and wait until I see a picture or have a thought and then I write it down. I try not to think about if what I'm writing down is right or wrong. I'll decide that after I read through it again. Otherwise I will talk myself out of hearing God's voice. Sometimes the answers are a short sentence, and sometimes the answer is over a page long. And sometimes it takes a long time before I get an answer. There may be a day where I don't get an answer. If so, I'll just keep waiting and keep asking. Or ask it in a different way.
I would encourage you to ask God a question (or more) a day. There are days where I don't get around to asking a question. If that happens to you, don't get frustrated with yourself or try to do 2 questions the next day to make up for it. Don't make it a ritual, make it a time to connect! If you miss it, you miss it. Just go for it the next day.
Ask God a question. One of mine, or one of your own. See what He says. He might surprise you.